Thursday, March 16, 2006

I got into Queens today. I guess it is not a huge surprise, but it is nice to know that I got in almost two months earlier this year than I did last year. They also offered me a bit more money than they did last year, which makes the whole thing easier.

Getting in clearly redefines what I am doing now from taking a first step on the career ladder to getting experience (and killing time) until I start a Master's in the fall. In some odd way, this is a bit dissapointing. Part of me was looking forward to working my up the CIBC ladder. Of course, I am still very happy to get in and that this will help my in whatever I choose to do, including working my way up the CIBC ladder. I only hope that I will still be able to stay as serious about my job as I have been until this point.

I am moving back to my parent's apartment. I might do it tonight, or I might do it on the weekend, depending on how much I can get done tonight. The problem is that I have do give the apartment a good clean before I leave.

Living on Commercial drive really isn't for me. I think the real problem is that I don't have many friends in the area so I don't go out once I get home. Further, as there is only one street, I don't go for many walks becuase I would just be walking up and down the same street... which does not hold much appeal. Of course, there are things here that have been nice. Going for breakfast with Rae at Havanas, shopping at Santa Barbara, or walking back from the skytrain on a sunny day have all given me an impression of a nice, liveable neighbourhood that I did not have before.

I am looking forward to going back downtown. I know people there, I work there, I bank there, I play there, I hang out there, I walk there, my life is there. It also means that I will be living in the penthouse again. I guess I never really appreciated it as much as I should have, but now every time I go back I am struck by how nice it is. I just hope my parents never sell it. I also know that me moving downtownis good for Rae. She likes the apartment too and it is much more convienient for her to come and visit me there than it is for her to come and visit me here where she has to transfer busses. Even though we won't have Havana's breakfasts anymore, we can still have Japanese food breakfasts and go out to bars and restaurants more easily.

My birthday is coming up a week from today. To celebrate, I am having a party. I know that the party won't be as well attended as my last birthday party but it is important for me as a way to re-establish my social life. It is also the best way I can think of to enjoy my apartment to the fullest. On the plus side, with fewer people coming to my party, there will be less to clean up. My hope is just that my good friends show up and that everyone has a good time.

My job. My job is still getting better. It is not too hard, not too stressful. Lately, my biggest problem has been finding ways of keeping busy. They have been busy and no one has time to train me. I guess as I learn more, they will give me more work, and that will actually be better because I won't have to spend so much effort on trying to look busy or walking around the office and asking people if they have any work that I can do for them.

I don't think I will tell my coworkers about Queens right away. It is a good thing if they think of me as someone who has the potential to stay with the bank and it is a bad thing if they think of me as too ambitious. I guess I will let them know a bit later, when the date comes closer.

Time to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home