Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Somehow it seems like I am struggling to put out new posts on my blog every week. I feel like, even though I am not fully familiar with Kingston, that I am settled in enough that it is not exciting anymore. On the other hand, at least I don't need to blog out my frustrations. The program is good. I handed in my first two problem sets this week. The micro one was hard but I started very early and so was quite satisfied with my answers. The econometrics one was a bit eaiser, but I left it until later and even though I like my answers, I definately don't feel as if I understand everything that is going on in that course. I know I need to sit down with my text book and my notes and figure it all out, but for a subject like this, it is hard to find the motivation.

Last weekend I judged a novice debate tournament. It was pretty fun. It is nice that after all the years I have put into debate that I am given respect for being an old debate hand. Debate is something that I have had a bit of a distant relationship with over the years. While I love the act of debating and I enjoy speaking with inteligent people about relevent issues, I never really got into the whole debate social scene. Here, however, things feel different. First, it is a bigger club. More than 30 people have showed up to each meeting I have attended so far. Second, the club seems more inclusive and less clique based than the one back at UBC. Of course, this could just be my perspective as a grad student is different from those of first year undergrads. Finally, the social aspect is more developed. After the tournament on saturday, there was a big party at Dickie's house where we all had a few drinks and went through an initiation ceremony to become official members of the club. They, or should I say we, even have a debate song.

Monday was Yom Kippur. To my surprise, the break fast meal that I had arranged through Hillel was hosted by the family of my old bunk mate at camp Kadimah, Mat. His family lives in Kingston and after university, he came back to join the family business. It is funny how small Canada is, and especially how small Jewish Canada is.

I had a phone interview with Goldman Sachs today. It was for an operations position in the Hong Kong office. I think it went ok, but I have never done a phone interview before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. The job, as I understand it, is something like what I was doing at CIBC, but instead of mortgages it is working on big investment banking deals. The problem is that even though I would get to see these deals, and process these deals, since I am not the one making them, it is somehow different from an analyst position. On the other hand, it is with Goldman Sachs.

This interview also brought up some issues about where I want to live. At some point, I definately wanted to live in Asia. It is an exciting place with lots of things going on and just being there stays interesting, at least as compared to say Kingston. Lately, however, I have been realising the importance of networks and friends. Here, because I am Canadian and through other things, I am able to make connections with people around me. I also have a (somewhat limited) network of family friends and friends of friends that are available to me. In Hong Kong, I don't know that I would be able to relate to people as well and I know that I certainly would not have any residual networks to rely upon. I guess I could overcome this through just a few friends and hopefully friendly collegues... In the end, I will cross that bridge when, and if, I get there.

Still no other interviews yet. Actually, apart from Goldman Sachs, I have only had negative responces. I think for my next round of applications, I will write more personalised cover letters. Maybe I should also start going to info sessions. I wonder if it is already too late... It still feels strange that it is only the beginning of October and I am thinking these thoughts. I haven't even written any exams yet.

Kingston is already boring me. There isn't much to eat, and not much to do either. Lately, my life has just been between class, the office and home. I need to get out and meet more people, but I have work to do and aside from econ and debate, I don't know how to meet people. The frosh process here is great at building friendships between students, but it also leaves me as feeling like a bit of an outsider. I probably should have come here as an undergrad. Oh well.. must make the most of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home