Thursday, September 28, 2006

Last weekend I went to Toronto for Rosh Hashana. It was good. On Friday night, Rachel and I went to Howard's sister Susan's house for dinner. It was a beautiful dinner. The family was very nice and friendly. I think they liked us too. It turned out that all of their kids went to the same summer camp that I went to in Nova Scotia so we knew a few of the same people. Susan's son's girlfriend lives in Kingston and goes to Queens, so he comes here often and I will get to see him again. Unfortunately, Howard's son Ethan was not in town for the weekend so I did not get to see him, but I will try again the next time I am in Toronto.

As Rachel's roommate's mother was visiting at the same time I was unable to stay with Rachel so I stayed with my friend Noah and his family. Noah is a good friend of mine from UBC who lived for me for a few months a few summers ago. On Saturday, I went to services at an orthodox shul with his family. I did not much like it because it was so big and everyone just seemed to be sitting/standing there listening to the cantor. After the services, I went with them to a family lunch which was quite nice. On Sunday we went to a conservative service at the JCC which was much more similar to BI and I liked a bit more.

On friday night, Noah and I went out to this place called the Madison. It was very cool. Just a few adjacent houses that were tuned into one big bar with tons of different rooms. After we left, we went for late night sushi, which is not the same as Vancouver. The prices were higher and the quality was lower, but then I guess it is still better than Kingston... Saturday night, we went back to the Madison with Noah's friend from high school. Again, it was a good time. Sunday Noah and I went around a few areas in Toronto that I was not so familiar with. We saw Kensington Market Chinatown, and the Concord Pacific area. Toronto is a pretty nice city. Of course, it is no Vancouver, but it is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Rachel has a big apartment in a cool part of town which is quite convenient to classes for her. For me, it was just nice to be back in a big city after spending three weeks in Kingston with its university and its prisons.

School has been good so far. I just finished my first problem set today in microeconomics. It was definately a big step harder than anything they would have given us in undergrad, but after the math review we had, I was ready for it. Also, the great thing about the program is that we all have shared offices on the same floor of a building so it is always easy to find classmates with whom to compare answers and check to make sure that we are doing the problems in the right way. Now I have to shift my attention to the problem set we have in econometrics (statistics for economists) which is due wednesday.

I have been applying for a number of jobs lately. So far I have only had one positive responce which was from Goldman Sachs in their operations division in Hong Kong. Actually, after doing a bit of research, it is probably not the ideal job, but Goldman Sachs is one of the best companies in banking, so if they offer me a position (still a very big if) I think it would be good for my career. Other than that, I am still waiting for the banks and companies to get back to me. The federal government will start their big hiring push in a few weeks and I will send out some applications for the jobs there that interest me. This is more of a second choice because lately I have been much more intersted in private sector jobs than public sector ones. Even though the good private sector jobs will be much harder work, they just seem more exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home