Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back in Vancouver and enjoying it!

I finished my last final and came back to Vancouver. The city has not changed much, but after being stuck in Kingston for three months, it has become that much bigger and more cosmopolitan to me. More importantly, after hanging out with friends of convenience and aquaintances (many of whom are good people, I just don't know them that well) for that time, to be back here and see all of my friends, in some cases for the first time in almost two years, feels very good. It really feels like coming home. Of course, my parents and my sister are here too which is always nice.

I will try to give the play by play as well as I can remember it. For the first bit of my trip back, I was spending a lot of time with Noah. He is living at a hotel near English Bay and working at a mutual fund company downtown. Although he is a bit uncertain as to what to do next, he seems like he is having a pretty good time living a bachelor's life in the West End. It was fun to go to 1215 with him. To have some sake and see all the same people that were working there in the summer. We also went to the Jazz Cellar out by UBC to listen to some live music, which was also very cool. When I live in a real city again, I will try to do that more often. About a week ago Noah left to go to Japan on vacation. I guess I will see him the next time he goes through Toronto.

The world championship of debate is going on here in Vancouver this year ad for this, Gabe , my former debate partner, has come back to compete. I hadn't seen gabe in a year and a half, since we lived together in Beijing. He is looking good, and has become a vegetarian. As a result, I have dubbed him "EuroGabe 2.0". Impressively, EuroGabe has broken at worlds and will have his octofinal round tomorrow. Good luck Gabe!

In general, I have been very busy since I have been back. I have had so many people to see, so many things to do, so many walks to take. The surprising result of this has been that between seeing people and the work I am doing for Vincent (which I will not discuss here), I have been sleeping much less than when I was in school. In some ways, I am looking forward to going back to school so that I can rest and recuperate from my crazy fun break.

This post has not done justice to all that has gone on in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever do that. For now, however, I need to get some sleep so that I can make at least two (hopefully three) appointments tomorrow. Only five more days until I leave Vancouver and return to Kingston. Still so many people to see, places to go, sushi to eat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home