Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Does doing a boring job make a person less interesting? Does living for the weekend mean not really living at all? Lately the novelty is gone from my job. It is not worse, but it is not better either. I am better at it than I was before, but I am no more interested.

I have been living the life of a salaryman for over two months now and I must say that it takes a lot of effort. The effort is not in the work, or even in making ends meet, but rather in keeping up one's life outside the demands and restrictions of a 9-5 job. It is so easy to walk home, sit on the sofa and watch TV for an entire evening. If I am tired and have no pre-existing plans, I am likely to do just that. I guess it is just the path of least resistance.

Today was a better day. After work, I met Noah in coal harbour and we went for a drink. We hung out for the whole evening talking about various things. Yesterday was also good. Even though I killed two hours on the sofa, I went out to a comedy night with Rae, Ash and his wife. It was the first time in a while that we had done a "double date" kind of night and I think it worked out well.

My mother called me today and said that my father and her were not moving to South Africa. I don't know how to react to the news. On the one hand, it doesn't really affect my life directly either way. I was not going to live in South Africa and I was not going to stay here so I wouldn't be living with them either way. At the same time I am dissapointed for them because they had been quite excited about the whole thing and they were so close to going. One of the worst parts of this whole episode is that I will look like a jerk in front of all of the people that I told about my parents' move. Unfortunately, as I did not have time to talk with my mother this afternoon, I did not get the details of the whole thing. I don't know what they are going to do in Vancouver or where they will find jobs now. I don't know if they are quite ready to retire yet either. I hope things work out for the best.

I went to Spencer's going away party this weekend. It was at the Blarney Stone, which I don't particularly like, but it was good anyway. It was good to see Spencer again and better to know that he is going off to do something very cool that he believes in. I wish him the best and I will try to make it out to the Maritimes to see him if possible... well also just to have fun in Halifax.

Kai was in town this weekend. He is living in Taiwan now, which is pretty cool and he is planning on staying there for the long haul which is pretty intense. Rae was very happy to see someone who had gone to her home country and enjoyed it enough to stay. She was also happy to talk about her major with him, language education. He has now gone back to Taiwan to continue teaching and perhaps to launch a teaching business of some sort.

Summer is coming fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home