Friday, March 30, 2007

What a great birthday!

Last friday was my birthday. To help me celebrate the occasion, Ashley came down from Ottawa for the day. It was great fun.

The day started well with some nice, and long overdue, sunshine and mild temperatures. Then, when I got to school, I discovered that the department was giving out free lunch because they have food left over from a seminar that morning. After hanging out in the office for a bit, Ashley arrived and we went for a walk to show her around Queen's. A few hours later, a whole bunch of us went over to the grad club for a few beers and some birthday cheer. Around 6 we started getting hungry so we went downtown to a pan-asian (yeah... I know) restaurant and had some dinner. I had the penang curry which was quite good, although not particularly authentic. After dinner, we all split up to go home and get ready to go out. I went back to my place with Ashley where we ran into my roommate, Tomek, who was looking for something to do. We invited him out and soon we were all on our way to the ale house for a big night.

Last weekend was also the weekend that Queen's was hosting the national championships of debate. A few people that Ashley and I knew from UBC, like Mike and Spencer, were there taking part. The cool thing was that the debate social that night was also at the ale house so, in addition to all of the econ people I had invited out, there were also the debate people. I spent most of the night going between the econ guys upstairs, the debators in the front, and the dance floor, getting progressively drunker along the way. The whole thing was perfect because I knew so many people there, and everyone was buying me drinks. After the bar closed there was a bit of an adventure through A&P which is conveniently located across the street and open 24 horus. At one point, Daniel, the German exchange student, climbed into the cheese fridge and closed the door behind him. Very funny stuff...

Half of the next day was spent recovering with Ashley and Tomek as we prepared and ate a pancake and egg breakfast. In the afternoon, after Ashley went home, I went to catch the last two rounds of the debate tournament. Unfortnuately, I got there a bit late and was only able to judge the final round, but I did get to see the round before that in an infomal capacity. The round was Spencer running a GBLT equity case. I was not particularly amused.

Thankfully for the last round I was able to judge the DFL (dead fucking last) bracket. This is a good thing because judging a good room was pretty much out of the question and judging a merely mediocre room can be quite dry. The DFL room, on the other hand, is usually funny because the teams that are in it are either so bad as to be funny, or are not taking the whole thing seriously. In this case, there was a mix of both. I had the momentus task of adjudicating an epic debate over the relative merits of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles versus the Power Rangers. After carefully listening to all of the arguments, and some deep post-round reflection, I decided that the side arguing for the Power Rangers had carried the day, even though that was the opposite to my own personal views. It was a deeply moving, spiritual experience.

Friday was also my last day of playing tetris until exams. I was unable to regain the high score, or even come close for that matter. Now that I am on a break, this stops mattering and I can concentrate on other things, such as school work.

There is only one week of classes left and it is somewhat scary. On the one hand, I feel much better than I did a week ago in that I know exactly what I must do for the next three or so weeks so that I can be successful on my finals, but on the other hand the thought of writing exams is always a bit nerve wracking. Additionally, I have to prepare to present my preliminary results for my panel data class. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem, but I can only work on the data in the data centre in the basement of the library, and, due to the professor's time constraints, I can not go in today. This means that Monday will be very busy.

昨天我上了这个学习的最后一个汉语课。虽然我的口语还没有去年呢么流利,但是我学了很多新的汉子而单词。现在期末考试快来了所以我要比较中看我的经济学课程。

In the remaining time I have here in university, I must make the most of it. Be a student, enjoy my freedom, learn for the sake of learning, and acheive the results of which I am capable. Even if my job in Ottawa will be good, it is unlikely that it will be anything like going to school...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home