Friday, May 26, 2006

I went to Kelowna over the weekend. Good times were had by all.

After a busy week of enjoying the weather, Paul invited me and Rae up to his house in Kelowna. I had never been there before, but Rae had been wanting to get out of the city and go traveling for a while now so we took the opportunity go for the long weekend. Paul also brought his friend Soorej with us to make four. We drove up friday evening. By the time we got there it was already almost midnight and we were all a bit tired. However, after settling in to our room, we went back down for a couple of bottles of local Okanagan wine as a night cap.

The next day we went in to town to see what Kelowna was like. To my slight surprise, despite its relatively large population of 100 000 people, the downtown was very town like with one and two story buildings, tourist shops, and of course the bargain bargain bargain bargain bargain shop... where they did not let us bargain. We walked around much, of the downtown area, getting a lot of pictures with the Ogopogos all around. That night, for some reason, we were inspired to cook. We had our own mini Iron Chef competition in Paul's house's amazing kitchen (which we nicknamed "kitchen stadium 3000"). Rae, Paul and Soorej all cooked salmon in a different way and I cooked some pasta as a side dish. At dinner, Paul's sister and her friend judged Rae to be the winner with her mayo and tomato salmon... mmmm..... After dinner we went to the liquor store to pick up some more local wine and watched Sideways.

Sunday we went out on the lake. Paul's family has a boat so we walked down the stairs to the dock and went out for a ride. It turned out that Paul's dad is really into wakeboarding so we all took turnes doing that. I was lucky that I had done it before while I was in Singapore so I didn't have any problems getting up. Rae, however, had never done it before but to her credit she did manage to stand up a few times and I think she enjoyed it. Paul was the pro among us and was doing some small jumps off the wake. After we were all tired and cold from all that wakeboarding, we went into the pool and relaxed for a bit before supper. That evening, we were all exausted and were unable to even stay awake to watch the whole game between Edmonton and Anaheim.

Monday morning I got up happy that it was still the weekend. Unfortunately by this point we didn't have much time to do anything else and we headed back to Vancouver in the early afternoon. On the road I was reminded of how beautiful this province is and just how empty it is too. I should really make an effort to get out of Vancouver again before I leave in the fall.

Tuesday was terrible. At first I did not know why I was feeling so bad about being in the office but then while talking to Ash and Leon about what we all did over the weekend Leon said that after being outdoors, being stuck in an office was driving him crazy. As soon as he said that I could feel it even more strongly.

Thursday I saw Blair for the first time in over a year. Blair was my old skateboarding buddy from way back in the day. We have had a lot of good times together, but lately we have taken different paths. Because of this, I was unsure about what it would be like to see him. In the event I was quite happy to see him. He is looking good, is living in a nicer apartment and seems much more together than when I saw him last. He is doing the whole Main St thing and that is pretty cool. We caught up a bit on what we had been doing for the last year then we watched the Oilers lose to the ducks. After hockey and food, we skated to Blair's friend's house and played poker. I have played poker a few times before, but I guess never with a group of people that took it so seriously. Before I knew it, I was out of the game. A few hands later and I bought myself back in and started actually playing. At one point I had won all my money back and then some, but I ended up losing it all to Blair on the river when we were both all in. In all the night cost me $20, which is really not so bad compared with a night out anywhere else.

Soon after I lost in poker, my parents called to say that they had arrived in Vancouver. They had been driving here from New York after packing up the apartment. I met them in front of Hon's on Robson only to discover that it was already closed. Instead, we went to spice alley, a Korean restaurant a few doors up the block for some good (better than the place I usually go to) Korean food. They were in remarkably good spirits considering the drive they had just done. They talked a bit about it and about their plans for the summer. I told them about my life here and how things were going with work.

Today was less interesting. Work was the same as always... the weather was not as good....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it up to a lake. It's super hot and humid here in TO and there is no relief. No relief except this sweet, sweet beer.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home